Tuesday, November 2, 2010

What about Protestant marriages?

Question: Does the Catholic Church consider Protestant marriages legal in Catholic church law?

My husband and I are both baptized Protestants. He was previously married to a Protestant but divorced. We were married in a Protestant Church. I want to join the Catholic Church.

Does HIS previous non-catholic marriage keep me from converting to the Catholic faith? He has no desire to become Catholic. I have had many different opinions and don't know what the truth is, Thanks.

Answer:

The Catholic Church recognizes as valid – in its own law – marriages that take place in other religions. So your husband will need to have his first marriage annulled by the Catholic Church.

But take heart, every Catholic tribunal in the country deals with the marriages of non-Catholics. If his first marriage is declared invalid in Catholic church law you would then be free to enter into the Catholic Church. I suggest speaking with your local parish priest about your husband's first marriage and your desire to become a Catholic.

No comments:

Post a Comment